Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hey Dumplin - Chicken and Dumplins

Last week was the first time the temperature felt remotely cool all summer. Last summer I was way pregnant and the we had a mild summer but this summer is a different story! For those of you that know me you know that I am so hot natured. If I could afford to I would set my thermostat at 60 and call it a day! But luckily we are getting closer to fall and some cool weather. Thank goodness! So, I decided to put on a big pot of chicken and dumplins to celebrate the weather. I grew up in a house that didn't have traditional dumplins because 1)my dad hate them and 2) we lived in Texas so in place of dumplins my mom would throw in thinly sliced tortillas at the last minute to puff up and serve as the dumplins. But, me being a new found southern girl, I LOVE dumplins!!! This makes enough for about 4-6 large bowls. This is the perfect ending to a long cool day!

4 large chicken thighs- bone in skin on (I promise, this is the best!)
6 cups chicken stock
1 large onion chopped
3 large carrots chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper (freshly ground makes ALL of the difference!)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 stick butter

In a large stock pot add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil on med heat. Salt and pepper the chicken and place skin side down to sear 5-6 minutes then turn and sear on back side 5-6 minutes. Once chicken has seared, add all remaining ingredients and let simmer 45 minutes on med/low heat. After 45 minutes remove chicken, shred off of the bone and throw back in the pot.

1 1/2 c flour
6 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
heavy pinch of cayenne
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 1/3 c milk

In separate bowl whisk together first 6 ingredients to blend. Add milk stirring as you pour until. Drop small teaspoons of dumpling batter (they really puff up!) in boiling and lightly stir as to not break up the dumplin. Let this mixture cook for 15 minutes longer. Taste for seasoning, I like a LOT of black pepper so add salt and pepper as needed. Spoon up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment