Thursday, September 16, 2010

Musical Fruit - Navy Beans

It is rather humorous that I am posting about beans twice within one week. Anyone that knows my family knows that they are not adventurous eaters, especially my husband. When I make beans I usually enjoy them...alone. No one else will even try them. My youngest muffin has even learned to say "ah oh" when he drops them one by one on the floor. Nice. But, with the cooler weather coming in I couldn't help myself but make some yummy navy beans. Typically navy beans are served in the form of soup, which you could alter this recipe a bit to do, but I decided to just go with a yummy side. And, just because I like you so much I will also include my recipe for cinnamon apples, don't mention it. In the picture you will notice it was a yummy southern meal of sharp cheddar bread, slow simmered ham, cinnamon apples and navy beans. Yum. A meal I will happily enjoy alone anytime!

Navy Beans (can easily be doubled)
1/2 bag of dry navy beans
4 cups water
Soak the above for 3-4 hours, overnight if possible.
Discard water then pout in 4 fresh cups of water
1 ham bone (for this, I like to buy the big ham steak. I cut away the bone which leaves me with three good size ham servings, enough for our family)
1/2 onion chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp better then bullion(chicken, ham, veggie, whatever you have)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 heavy pinch cayenne
2 tbsp olive oil
Let the above gently simmer for 3.5 hours on med low heat until beans become tender.
Makes 4 side servings

Cinnamon Apples- 4 side servings
4 large apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 c apple cider (I always have this on hand in the fall/winter months)
3 tbsp butter
pinch salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
heavy pinch of nutmeg
heavy pinch of ground ginger
Let this gently simmer on med/low heat for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. We love this with ham and hashbrown casserole...or navy beans :)

1 comment:

  1. Love picturing Finn saying, "ah, no" to those beans. I would eat them off the floor.
    What's wrong with those boys of yours? come here and cook anytime and it'll be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete