Monday, August 8, 2011

Pie oh my! - Oreo Ice Cream Pie

This summer has been so hot! If you live any where on planet earth then I am sure that you can agree with me. It was a mere 114 degrees when I was at my parent's house in Oklahoma and was around 100 degrees with 90% humidity the week we were at church camp in Eastern Tennessee. I could literally feel my make up slide off of my face every time I walked outside. One of my favorite easy desserts to help beat the heat is ice cream pie! It is cold, creamy, crunchy and the recipe makes two so you have a back up(or one to hide in the back of the freezer and nibble on when you are alone....not that I would ever do that!). The recipe can be made with any kind of ice cream but I will give you my top three favorites (you can thank me later). Enjoy!

2 chocolate graham cracker pie shells (feel free to make these from scratch but really, why bother?)
1 1/2 gallon of ice cream (I like moose tracks, mint chip and cookies and cream the best)
1 small container of cool whip
1 small jar of hot fudge sauce. warmed to a pourable consistency
Toppings (Reese's cups crushed, mini chocolate chips or peppermint patties, crushed oreos)

Allow the ice cream and cool whip to thaw slightly. Once thawed, pour both into a large bowl and lightly stir together. Add in half of the hot fudge and lightly swirl or fold (if using moose tracks I would also add in 1/2 cup melted peanut butter...but I am naughty that way!) Divide the mixture evenly between the two pie shells. Pour over remaining hot fudge sauce and top with your favorite topping (moose tracks=Reese cups crushed, mint chip=crushed peppermint patties, cookies and cream=crushed oreos...and the list can go on and on) Freeze overnight or at least four hours. Allow the pies to sit at room temp for 20 minutes before serving. Each pie makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment