Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What's not to love? - Banana's Foster Cheesecake

One word, cheesecake. Do you love it like I do?? I love it. Any flavor, any crust, any topping....I love them all. The cheesecake factory display counter is like a beacon of light drawing me in closer and closer. I usually find myself with my mouth gaping wide open at the site of all of the deliciousness that is only separated by a thin sheet of glass. Cheesecakes are a delicate treat and one that should really only be enjoyed ever so often due to the sheer amount of cream and love that goes into one. I am not a fake cheesecake girl, you know, the kind you open up a bag of some powder stuff and pour in some other stuff and then let it cool and it will set. Those don't fool me for a second. I want the real deal when I have one. I want to be able to glide my fork through the soft center and lick every morsel off of the plate when I am done. I have a cheesecake recipe that I will share at a later time but this recipe is for all of you who need a quick fix dessert and want to really impress your guests. Drum roll please.....I present to you Banana's Foster Cheesecake. Well, really you are only going to make the topping but you will take credit for the WHOLE THING! Got it!? This will have your guests begging for more, I promise. The sweet creamy texture of the caramel bananas and warm gooey sauce are a perfect blend with creamy cheesecake. Best part, it will only take you about 10 minutes to fool everyone.
First, you are going to start with a store bought plain cheesecake. I would buy a good quality one, I mean, don't go cheap now! This topping will make enough for around 6-8 servings so double if you are having a large party.

Banana's Foster Cheesecake
1 store bought cheesecake
4 bananas thinly sliced
1 stick of butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
zest of one orange (optional but delicious)
1/4 cup rum or 2 tsp rum extract (you can omit this all together but you will always wonder....)

In a heavy bottom large saucepan on medium heat combine the butter, sugar and cinnamon. Allow the sauce to bubble and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly, then add in the bananas. Allow the bananas to caramelize in the sauce, approx. 5-6 minutes. If you are not using rum you are ready to serve. If you are using run, remove the pan from the heat, pour in the rum, then return to the heat and light with a long lighter. Allow the alcohol to burn off, approx 2-3 minutes. Place cheesecake on individual plates then top off with sauce. You can also use this topping over ice cream, just pre scoop and freeze then bowls before topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment