Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What's up Butternut? - Instant Butternut Squash Soup

This time last year I was preparing to teach a holiday cooking class. It was gobs of fun and I enjoyed being able to research and write and read about food and calling it all "work". For me it doesn't get better than that. One of the recipes I sort of made up on the fly was an instant butternut squash soup. I am no expert on butternut squash, I have used it in several different methods and I have had many different variations of soups so my goal was to try to bring them all together to bring out the sweet buttery simple goodness of the lovely veggie. I think I might have pulled it off. My husband even ate a small bowl and that is saying A LOT!  So, for those of you and in a yummy soup mood try this one on for size. I hope it hits you in the right spot and brings you a little comfort during this joyous season!!

Instant Butternut Squash Soup
1 lb butternut squash cut in cubes (this can be found in most stores already ready to go this time of year)
4 cups chicken stock ( you can use veggies too)
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ginger
Dash of cayenne
2 Tbsp butter

Place squash in a microwave safe bowl with 1/3 cup of water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 7 minutes until fork tender.
In a blender or food processor place all of the above ingredients, including the squash but NOT the butter and blend until smooth. Pour soup into pot,  add the butter and simmer on medium heat until warmed and slightly thickened.
Serve with sour cream and crumbled bacon if desired (but really, who wouldn't want to?! )

Enjoy y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment