Monday, December 19, 2011

Oatmeal Heaven - Baked Oatmeal

I didn't know that oatmeal could be that exciting. Really, I thought that oatmeal in the form of cookies with chocolate chips was about as good as it gets. I mean, it's oatmeal, right? But, have you had baked oatmeal? This, my friends, is heaven. When I was visiting my sister a few years back she hosted a brunch at her house. One of the girls brought this baked oatmeal and it took us all to a magical place, one where you forget that you have kids and dirty laundry and housework. This baked oatmeal is a must by a cozy warm fire in slippers with a big cup of coffee. It is delicious! You might be thinking, "get a hold of your self, it's just oatmeal". Well, no, it's not. It is heavenly oatmeal. This is like eating a giant bowl of oatmeal cookie fresh out of the oven. It is comfort food maxed out. This....is Baked Oatmeal! The perfect start to a perfect day!

1/2 c. oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. sugar - Can use white or brown. Brown will give you more of that traditional earthy oatmeal taste.
Mix these together then add:

3 c. rolled oats
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon (You can bump this up all the way to 1 1/2 tsp if you like it strong)
1 tsp vanilla

Stir together, pour into a lightly greased baking dish and bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes.  You must serve this warm with a splash of cream (or half and half, but really!?) and fresh fruit like blueberries, strawberries, cinnamon apples. If you want to go there, you can add in up to 1/2 cup of your favorite nut, like pecans or walnuts and 1/2 cup of dried fruit like cranberries or raisins. But, I am a purest so I keep it to cream and fruit...but I could almost skip the fruit! :)

Enjoy Y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Made this this morning. YUM! So sweet and warm. My husband loved it. I put blueberries and apples in it because I have some apples that we will never eat as fruit! :-))

    ReplyDelete