Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Rockin' Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze

Oh, how I love red velvet cake. For some reason there are two things that I am always drawn too, blue candy and red velvet cake. Weird I know but if I was offered any cake flavor in the world I would pick red velvet. Red Velvet is a velvety smooth buttermilk chocolate cake batter with a bit of twang from the vinegar and food coloring. It is amazing how quickly red velvet can go wrong. Some recipes have too little coloring or chocolate in my opinion. I recently found a red velvet recipe that is amazing and I will ever be able to go back to my old one. I can't share it but you can just dream about it. Last year I made a red velvet cake with a layer of cheesecake in between and covered it with old school cream cheese frosting. One of the partakers said she had been having dreams about it. Well, today I am going to share with you a new take on red velvet......the Red Velvet Pancake. Oh my. They are heavenly. These would be perfect for Christmas morning or eve. They are a dense rich batter and are delicious paired with a cream cheese glaze. This will get even the grinchiest of grinches into the holiday mood.

Rockin' Red Velvet Pancakes
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
6 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp good cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
1/2 c sour cream
3 tsp red food coloring
2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

In a large bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients (down to cocoa powder).
In a separate bowl, combine the milk and vinegar, stir, and allow it to sit for 5 minutes to curdle. 
To the dry milk, whisk in the eggs, vinegar/milk, sour cream, food coloring and vanilla.
Let your griddle or frying pan get hot and melt some butter in your pan. Using an ice cream scoop (if you have one...I prefer the 1/4 c scoop. It works for everything!) ladle in your batter and immediately sprinkle some chocolate chips over the batter. Flip once there are little bubbles forming in the middle of the pancake.
This recipe yields around 20 pancakes.

Cream Cheese Glaze

Whisk 2 cups of powdered sugar, 6 Tbsp softened cream cheese (you need it pretty soft so you might microwave it for 20 seconds before mixing), 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla into a bowl. Add a bit more milk if your glaze is too thick.

Serve pancakes with a light drizzle of the cream cheese glaze and a dusting of powdered sugar. These are rich so make sure you have a big glass of milk or cup of black coffee close by.

Happy Holidays Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment