Thursday, December 1, 2011

Spoonful of love - Chocolate Caramel Bread Pudding

If you have been with me all along you know that I am pretty honest about what I love and don't love. There are thing in my life that I don't love, even after telling myself that they are good or good for me I still can't do it. Like fresh tomatoes, I only like them thinly sliced on BLT's but I can't rock them otherwise. I remember the day I suddenly liked mustard and craved it on a burger and I remember the first time I bit into a mushroom and didn't mind that it squeaked a bit. This dish is one of those that I have grown to love. Bread pudding. I think you either fall into two categories, love or hate. There is no middle ground. I didn't have bread pudding growing up, at least I don't remember having it. I remember seeing it and kind of being grossed out by it but then I started thinking of things that I love that contain the same elements like breakfast casserole or french toast. Same idea, different outcome. I had a bread pudding at a local restaurant several years ago and remember being struck at how lovely it was, how it didn't gross me out but yet, how it had me begging for more. I then made a butterscotch bread pudding last year with a warm white chocolate sauce that that sealed the deal...I love it. I don't like raisins at all and I think that is a lot of why I have never cared for bread pudding. But, bread pudding in a pure form is so lovely to me. And, when you add in chocolate and put a warm caramel sauce on top....HEAVEN! SO, I made up this beauty today. I am hosting a girls group tonight at the house for a dessert only gather (which always stresses me out!) and I decided to try out a new recipe. I know, that goes against everything Ina preaches but a girl has got to do what a girl has got to do. I had a lovely loaf of french bread begging to be smothered in cream and chocolate and jar of caramel sauce hanging out so I combined the two and they have become instant best friends. I present to you chocolate bread pudding with warm caramel sauce. Delicious!

Chocolate Bread Pudding
6 cups stale french bread torn in chunks
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 light brown sugar
2 cups milk
3 eggs beaten
1/2 cup cold coffee
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup bittersweet cocoa chips
1 bottle of caramel ice cream topping warmed up

Toss the bread in a bowl with the cocoa powder, and sugars. In another bowl combine the remaining ingredients the pour over the bread and toss to coat. Be gentle as to not break up the bread and form a mush. Pour into a greased casserole pan, preferably one that is round with high sides, not a 9x13. Bake for approx 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool briefly. Serve into individual bowls and spoon over a heavy drizzle of warm caramel sauce. Top with a dollop of whipped cream if you want to be added to the naughty list.

Enjoy Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment