Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cookie Trifecta - Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie

Hold on to your boots partner! I have found THE BEST OATMEAL COOKIE RECIPE EVER! I know I can say that with confidence because I have just gobbled up around 10 of them for breakfast, snack and lunch and each one is better than the one before!
Because it is ode to oatmeal month I started browsing through some recipes and came across a recipe my sister sent me years ago for "The Perfect Cookie". Now, my sister is a great cook so I had no doubt that they would be good. But, I never imagined that they would be this good. Her words to describe them are, and I quote, "all the best cookie worlds collide without annoying gross stuff like raisins". Amen. They have a lovely hearty not too oatmealy texture because of grinding the oatmeal. I did a slight variation from hers and I loved them to itsy bitsy pieces. I dare you, no I triple dog dare you to find a better oatmeal cookie recipe out there. You may search high and low but these are the best, and you never forget the best! Promise, promise, promise me you will run, not walk to your kitchen to make these babies today. You should already have most of these items on hand if you made the Heavenly Baked Oatmeal. Okay, what are you waiting for?? Get to cookin'!!

Trifecta Cookies

1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks salted butter at room temp
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cu firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tsp almond extract
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 - 12oz bag of semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup semi sweet mini chocolate chips

Place 1 cup of the oats into a food processor and pulse until the oats are finely ground. Dump the oat powder, flour, baking powder, soda, salt and remaining 1/2 cup of whole oats into a bowl and set aside.
Pour the 1 cup of mini chocolate chips into the food processor and pulse until they are broken up in wee little pieces. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, peanut butter, and sugars until they are creamy (around 2 minutes) scraping down the sides to make sure it is thoroughly combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add in the almond extract and mix just until combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add in the oat/flour mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in the bag of semi sweet chocolate chips and the pulsed cup of mini chocolate chips.
Using a 1/4 cup scoop, scoop out 8 (yes, you read that right) cookies onto each cookie sheet that you have, pressing down lightly to form a flat disk. Place the cookies in the fridge to harden up for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place in two cookie sheets at a time. Cook the cookies for around 15 minutes until they are ever so lightly browned. Remove from the oven, let them cool for 3 minutes then place them on a cooling rack to finish cooling. Repeat the process until all cookies have chilled, cooked and cooled again. This recipe should yield 32 Texas size cookies...I mean, go big or go home, right?!
As soon as they have cooled enough for you to grab, pick one of those babies up and chow down. They would be great with a tall glass of milk. This dough will keep up to one week in your fridge...but I doubt you can keep your little hands out of that batter!!

If you think you have a better oatmeal cookie recipe, send it on and I will test it out. But, I don't do raisins or nuts.

Enjoy Y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Jon just made the most amazing chocolate chip peanut butter cookies Tues night.....We've named them Demon Cookies because they possess your thoughts...! I do believe we shall endeavor to make your Trifectas this very evening!!!

    ReplyDelete