Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Slaw, Slaw, Slippity Slaw - Cilantro Slaw


Cole slaw is something that you must love if you are from Texas, it's the rule. Just like potato salad, baked beans and BBQ. It comes with the territory. I was reminiscing the other day with the salesman about the all day long BBQ cookouts or fish frys we had growing up. There was something magical about all of the men standing around cooking and basting and pondering over the perfect smoke rings surrounding a big ole' brisket. I love big BBQ's and family gatherings and when we serve BBQ there are many staples that are part of the menu. Cole slaw is one of them. I have always been a bit leery of slaw, I think the idea of someone mixing it together in a 50 gallon bucket with rubber gloves on wigs me out a bit. Slaw is a great addition to any meal, especially when the meal is mostly heavy items like a BBQ feast. This recipe for slaw is one I created based on a ramen noodle slaw. I don't typically keep ramen on hand so I tweaked with a recipe based on what I had on hand at the time and it turned out perfect. This is a good mayo free slaw that is slightly sweet with a lot of crunch and fresh flavors. This would be a great topping for fish tacos and you can easily add grilled chicken on fish to it and turn it into a meal. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It is kid tested and salesman approved, which is as good as it gets around here!

1 napa cabbage thinly sliced (don't go bagged mixed on me here)
1/2 cup cilantro roughly chopped
1 cup crunchy rice noodles (found in the international aisle)
1/2-3/4 cup slivered almonds
1 Tbsp butter

In a small saucepan over medium low heat, combine the butter and the almonds and a splash of salt. Let the almonds toast up in the butter and get slightly browned but not burned, while stirring occasionally, about 6-8 minutes. Allow them to cool before using.

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. You can keep out the rice noodles until just before serving if you want them to stay super crunchy (which is what I prefer)

Sauce:
4 Tbs sugar
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 c veggie oil
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Pour the sauce over the slaw and mix thoroughly. Taste to make sure your flavors are good.

Enjoy Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment