Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Take 10 Bars

I know, I am kind of on a roll today. I am making up for lost times and trying to grab a few moments while the muffins are battling it out in wii baseball. I don't know about you guys but we LOVE, HEART, AND ADORE rice krispie treats in our house. Really, is there a better dessert? It is easy, always comes out perfect, and is appealing to children of all ages. When I make a batch for cakes I usually have to hide it under a lock and key in the house because the salesman will put down a pan in no time. I also LOVE, HEART, AND ADORE the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, especially in Reese's and Take 5 candy bars. That is the stuff that dreams are made of. I am a big salty sweet gal and chocolate peanut butter is the ultimate combination! So, I decided to whip up a confection that was appealing to all of the things I love, heart and adore. They are called Take 10 bars because once you taste one you will need more than five to recoup from the experience of eating them. They are a combination of chocolate peanut butter fudge meets rice krispie treats meets Take 5 bars. Got all of that? These are a great alternative to a plain old rice krispie treat, although there is nothing wrong with plain old delicious rice krispie treats! I have just taken things to the next level. And sorry, no pictures. They were gobbled up before I had the chance to grab out the camera. Oh well, guess that means I get to make them again!!!

Take 10 Bars

5 cups rice krispies cereal
1 1/2 cup crushed pretzels (I just used my hand to crush them. You don't want tiny pieces. You want to be able to see and crunch on the pretzels in the bars)
4 oz unsweetened chocolate bars (I use Bakers) - You can use semi sweet and cut back the brown sugar to 1/2  a cup. I usually just keep unsweetened on hand to make Yellow Rose Cafe: Brownie, Brownie, Bo Brownie - Best Brownie EVER!!!
2/3 c brown sugar
1/4 cup or 4 Tbsp butter
1 cup creamy peanut butter (we are anti crunchy- use crunchy at your own risk)
1 cup corn syrup
1 jar marshmallow fluff

Combine the rice krispies and pretzels in a big bowl. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium low heat, combine the chocolate, brown sugar, butter, peanut butter and corn syrup. Stir continuously until the chocolate has melted and the mixture has thoroughly combined. Once it is melted, remove from the heat and stir in the marshmallow fluff. Pour chocolate mixture over the rice krispies and thoroughly combine it all.
Spread the mixture into a parchment lined 9x13 pan. I placed a layer of parchment on top so I could mash it all down to get a good firm bar. Allow the bars to sit for at least 3 hours. Once set, cut into 2x2 bars and eat up!

Enjoy Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment