Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Who would have thought? Amazing Spinach Casserole


There are few veggies that I remember eating growing up that were not in the form of a casserole. I am a product of the 80's, when canned soups were essential elements to all meals. I was just thumbing through a cookbook last night and noticed that every veggie recipe contained at least two canned soups in the mix! I am so glad that we are in the age of roasting and sauteing! I try to keep my veggies fairly simple around the house these days but there are some recipes that I have to stick with because they are in my blood. My recipes are a scrapbook of my life and this particular recipes has very fond memories attached to it.
I hated spinach growing up. I don't remember having a fresh spinach salad until way on up in my college years. Spinach to me was something that always came in a frozen rectangular shape. I love spinach now and have at least one bag in the fridge and two boxes in the freezer at all times. It is an under-veggie, one that can easily be thrown into any dish and it will not try to steal the spotlight. I throw it in soups, pastas, sandwiches, just about anything. But, every now and then it needs our full attention.
This recipe is the only way I have ever seen my dad eat spinach in my life. You may look at this and think, "okay, why is this so special?". Would I lie to you? Remember, I have your back when it comes to cooking! This recipe is delicious, heavenly, to-die for, a MUST TRY! It has a few simple ingredients that make it out of this world! I could really eat myself sick on this stuff. You can make it lower fat and it is great reheated the next day to eat with eggs and bacon for breakfast. Please, promise me you will make it. Your momma will be so proud! Drum roll......

Mom's Spinach Casserole
2 boxes frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (you don't have to get every drop out, a little bit of the juice is good)
1 egg
1- 16 oz container large curd cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded white cheese (either monterey jack, white cheddar, or mozzarella)
1 Tbsp dry minced onion (yep, the cheap stuff in the bottle)
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper

Combine everything into a bowl. Place in a lightly greased baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Enjoy Y'all!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds fabulous, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very close to mine, except we use 2 eggs, garlic, and yellow cheddar for color.
    Very tasty meal!

    ReplyDelete