Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Life as I know It- Scones

It is hard to believe so much time has passed since my last posting. Wow. Life passes by so fast. Today was the last day of school for my little muffin and tomorrow will be the last day of 3rd grade for my big guy. I remember the tears pouring down uncontrollably the first time I took both of them to school but I enjoy now that with each year I tend to gain a better sense of peace and hope with each new chapter as I watch them grow into the little men I dreamed about. This year I served as "room mom" for the Muffin and had no idea what I was getting myself into.  I know that this duty is on the bucket list for some moms, the same moms who wear yoga pants and actually attend yoga and who consider cupcakes a rare treat instead of part of a healthy balanced diet. Because of the business that I am in of making and baking I tend to go with a store bought route much of the time so that I don't come across as "that mom"...until one day the salesman pointed out to me that other mom's buy my food so that they can be "that mom"....and that's when my game changed. I know when I take my boys to school I pray that they will be well behaved and listen and not share too many crazy family stories so I started sending in batches of homemade double doozies and gooey brownies and chocolate cake in hopes that it would cover the multitude of mishaps that might be happening when I am not around. I decided it was time to finally send in a savory goody for the teachers to enjoy and one that would also remind myself to savor each of these moments because they are passing me by all too quickly. 

Sending out hugs and love to all of you moms out there who are wrapping up the end of one season and already getting butterflies about what the next chapter will bring. 
Pimento Cheese, Bacon and Rosemary Scones

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp dry ranch powder mix
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary
1 stick cold butter cut into small cubes
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese (can also you cheddar, pepper jack or monterey)
3/4 cup good pimento cheese (I use Palmetto Cheese original but jalapeno would be great)
3/4 cup real bacon pieces (feel free to fry up about 8 sticks and crumble but I didn't have time for that so I just went easy and used the precooked Hormel bacon pieces)
1 cup buttermilk (or I use 1 cup milk with 2 tsp white vinegar added)
1 egg + 1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese

Place the flour, baking soda, ranch, salt, pepper and rosemary into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse just to blend. Drop the butter chunks in a few at a time and pulse just until you can tell it has started to blend a get a crumble type texture, approx. 25 pulses.
Dump all of the flour mixture into a big bowl and stir in the cheese, bacon and buttermilk. You will want to mix this just until combined and all wet. It will be a bit sticky but the less you mix the fluffier and fatter the scones will be so less is more.
Sprinkle a tablespoon or two of flour onto a clean smooth surface and scoop out the mixture into one big ball-ish shape. Sprinkle a bit more flour over the ball and using your hands, gently shape it into a large circle that is about 1 inch high and about 12” across. Again, you want to touch this as little as possible so gently smoosh the mixture down flat.
Using a knife, cut the dough into 8 equal pizza slice sections.
Place section onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
In a small bowl, stir together the egg and water. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg mixture evenly over the top of the scones. Finally, sprinkle the Parmesan and a splash of salt over the tops.
Bake at 400 degrees for approx. 17-20 minutes until very lightly browned and centers are set. If you cook them too long they will be dry and crunchy, gross.
Let them cool as much as possible before gobbling up. These would be great with a honey drizzle. You can also prepare the dough and freeze it to use at a later time. Just allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight before using then roll out. Scones are best when devoured the same day.


Enjoy Y’all! 

1 comment:

  1. nice recipee Pimento Cheese, Bacon and Rosemary Scones,thanks for sharing this..


    HNI Call in Silver

    ReplyDelete